IN HIS HAND IS THE LIFE OF EVERY CREATURE AND THE BREATH OF ALL MANKIND.
JOB 12:10

Sunday, September 16, 2012

THORNS

There are three ways Satan takes me away from God and His word...

1. Cares, worries, being overwhelmed in this world, this age, this life
-Let's see, my worries are basically dating, dealing with drama in my family, thinking about growing old alone

2. Wealth, riches...they lure, tempt, make false promises, seduce
-I am always wanting to buy things I don't need (right now it's a new car!), or I see things that others have and want it, or I think my savings account is my security

3. Our own desires, lusts, longings, evil desires, and many other things that take us away from God
-I desire to be in a relationship and belong somewhere; I long to not suffer or be in pain. And even though God gives us desires, that desire become evil when it becomes more important to us than He is.

The result of these distractions is...

1. They crowd in, choke God's message, choke His word.
2. Keep the teaching from growing and producing fruit, strangles what I have heard.
3. Nothing comes of it, and I am unfruitful.

I may hear the word, but the seed among thorns of distraction prevent me from growing. Without connecting to Jesus, the vine, I can produce no fruit. Watch for the thorns in your life that are disguised as something good but can take us away from God.

So this made me question what do I really desire?

So besides a great guy in my life, a BMW, and a Marc Jacobs handbag, this is what I really want...
-to know God
-to believe His promises
-to have faith in what I cannot see
-to feel His presence
-to serve in His kingdom
-to see God's wisdom, not my own
-to have peace and to be still
-to love others and not judge them
-for others to experience Jesus' amazing love
-to set my affections on things above, not things in this world
-for our nation to respect the life of the unborn
-for my words and thoughts to be pleasing to God
-for my life to glorify God and be an offering to Him
-good, encouraging, and uplifting friendships
-to know God's word so I can be armed
-the Lord's will to be done in my life
-to find joy in suffering, knowing this grows me and He never leaves me
-all my loved ones to know and walk with Jesus
-to really know and understand God's deep and unconditional love for me
-peace, patience, rest, hope

Matthew 13:22 
Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.

Mark 4:19
...and the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment