IN HIS HAND IS THE LIFE OF EVERY CREATURE AND THE BREATH OF ALL MANKIND.
JOB 12:10

Sunday, December 2, 2012

GROWING PAINS

Last week I showed up to my pilates class and I was the only person there...the class usually ranges from 5 to 20 people and I wasn't so sure I wanted to do this class alone. I was tempted to tell the instructor that I had to "get something out of my car" so I could escape but I wasn't quick enough...plus I kept thinking surely someone will show up late, right?! So we started and I did the 2 minutes of push-ups without taking breaks for the first time ever! (and these were real push-ups too!) As the class went on, I saw my body perform and do things I didn't think possible. I also thought my legs were going to fall off at one point as well. The next day I was so sore! A friend of mine who trains for triathlons was so excited for me and said she loved feeling sore afterwards because that means that her muscles are growing.

Her comment puzzled me at first...who loves feeling sore?! But I started to see what she was talking about when later that week I could tell a difference in my core. And I felt stronger. It reminded of this verse:

James 1:2-3
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

I saw how she considered it pure joy when her muscles were sore and her body was aching. And it was because she knew what the soreness meant...it meant she was stronger. So when we face trials we should see past the pain of the situation...and instead see that it will make us stronger as it will grow our faith. It also helped me see how asking God to take away our trials that it's like asking for bigger muscles but not wanting to workout. When we pray to love others more, God will send us someone hard to love. When we pray for patience, God will send us something that gets on our nerves.

I do want to grow bigger spiritual muscles, even though it's painful. I want faith that can move mountains. When we have faith, our doubts and fears go away. (PS. I also want bigger biceps...)

Matthew 17:20
He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

Romans 5:3
We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment